The MIT Quest for Intelligence is seeking a Software Engineer to join our talented engineering team. We collaborate closely with researchers across various disciplines to design, build, and maintain systems that promote understanding of biological and artificial intelligence.
About MIT’s Quest for Intelligence
MIT’s Quest for Intelligence imagines a world in which our understanding of natural intelligence is advanced by tightly coupled scientific enquiry and rigorous engineering to address real-world problems that are beyond current machine capabilities. To achieve this vision, we must treat the study of natural intelligence and efforts to build intelligent systems as two interlocked aspects of the same grand challenge, with neuroscientists and cognitive scientists working alongside computer scientists and software engineers.
The Software Engineer will work as part of the Quest Systems Engineering Team to engage with interdisciplinary research groups across MIT to determine requirements, iterate on architectural specifications, and produce robust, scalable systems that meet identified needs in biological and artificial intelligence research. Past projects include a Monte Carlo-based COVID-19 risk model for the MIT campus, a simulated robotics environment, a platform for scoring computational models against brain benchmarks, and a web app for sharing research stimuli.
This is an ideal position for someone with a solid technical foundation who enjoys adapting existing skills to novel domains: our wide-ranging project portfolio includes a Monte Carlo-based COVID-19 risk model for the MIT campus, a simulated robotics environment, a platform for scoring computational models against brain benchmarks, and a web app for sharing research stimuli. As part of a small team that values insight and innovation from individual members, you will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Program, deploy, and maintain software and infrastructure.
- Produce clean, scalable code.
- Participate in constructive peer code review.
- Research and develop technical specifications for new projects and features.
- Identify user requirements.
- Engage in planning and architecture discussions.
- Write thorough operational documentation.
- Debug and test code.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- 2+ years of programming experience in Python and with machine learning toolkits
- Experience with software development practices, including git-based version control and CI/CD
- Excellent written and verbal English communication
- Strong project-management, analytical, problem-solving, organizational, and decision-making skills
- The ability to work effectively and productively in a highly dynamic hybrid environment across all levels with faculty, staff, students, and other members of the MIT community.
- Experience in one or more of the following – computer vision, optimization, time-series forecasting, natural language understanding, data mining, and/or visualization
- Research experience developing and testing machine learning models
- Familiarity with one or more cloud platforms
- Experience with virtualization and containerization
Applications for this position are accepted through the MIT Human Resources Office, Job number 21591. This is a full-time position, located on MIT's main campus.